Home Alabama Department of Environmental Management
Skip Navigation LinksHome > Public Records
Lower High Falls, Talladega Forest - Bill Wilson
Public Information Requests

Our public-records policy
It is the policy of the executive branch of the State of Alabama to promptly provide citizens with public records upon request, subject to their payment of reasonable fees, to applicable laws protecting sensitive information, and to the interest of the general public in having the business of government carried on efficiently and without undue interference.

Submitting a public-records request
To search for a document online please click on the following link to use eFile.

If you would like to review available public records, your request must be made in writing and should be submitted to the ADEM Public Records Officer. Please submit your request well in advance of the time that you need to review the records because the documents you request may not be immediately available.

The Public Records Officer will contact you to schedule your appointment. Request should be submitted via e-mail at records@adem.alabama.gov, fax to 334-271-7950, or mailed to ADEM Public Records Officer, P.O. Box 301463, Montgomery, AL 36130-1463.

What to expect
We strive to respond as promptly as possible to all public-records requests we receive consistent with the demands of our agency’s functions as determined by state law.

The nature of your request will dictate how promptly we respond. If your request very clearly identifies a specific, discrete document you are looking for, we will respond more quickly than if your request requires substantial staff time to process. A request will require substantial staff time to process if it requires difficulty in identifying and retrieving documents or taking measures to redact or otherwise withhold legally protected information.

In addition, we are permitted by state law to charge reasonable fees in connection with processing public-records requests. We will notify you in advance of the fees you likely will incur as a result of your request.

You may contact our agency's public-records coordinator at records@adem.alabama.gov.